Our Mission

Ride With Clyde - Battling Cancer With Bennet Epperson

This is actually set up with the sole purpose of raising funds in various ways to help support Baby Ben, Jenny, Dave, and their families and friends during Ben's fight with cancer.

This blog seemed the best way for me to put all of my various efforts together in one place so that I could share them with others.

I will also try to update the blog with Bennet's condition and other news of his care and treatment as I hear it.

Feel free to post comments and make suggestions for other ways to raise money or generally help out. You can also get in touch with me at ridewithclyde2010@hotmail.com. Thanks in advance to everyone for their support. F*ck Cancer!

-Ben's Uncle Jake

Monday, June 28, 2010

The Day's Events, a Special Shout Out, and One More Shirt

So first off, I need to apologize to those of you follow the events of Ben's treatment here on the block. I meant to tell all of you that during the week, I work and don't have access to a computer. As such, I will try to update twice daily once either late a night or early in the morning to let people know what's scheduled for the day and then in the evening to let everyone know how the day's events went.

As I posted this morning Benny had a busy day today with both his chemo port surgery and the bone marrow scan. I wanted to explain real quick what a chemo port is for those of you who may not know. Basically, Ben had a tube surgically implanted into the left side of his chest below his collar bone. This tube has a cap on it and goes directly to a vein. Its kind of like an iv and the chemo is in a drip bag that hooks up to the port. They do it this way because the port can stay in for months at a time where the iv has to be changed every few days. From what Beth said the surgery went well. The bone marrow scan also went well and was done at the same time. They put Ben out, or under, or whatever term you want to do. We won't have the results of the scan for 48 hours (more like 42 at this point I think). When I talked to Collin he mentioned something about them drawing extra blood and marrow samples. No one confirmed this for me. Collin did say they were sending these to a national registry or lab. Again he didn't say why, but I can guess. I would assume this is a precautionary measure taken in case the cancer is found in the bone marrow. In that case, in sending the samples out now, finding a donor that is a match to our little man will be a quicker process. Like I said, this is just a guess on my part as I haven't heard for sure that they even did this. They are currently holding off on starting chemo until we get the results of the bone marrow scan. Other than that, everyone seems to be doing ok. Beth said today was king of a hard day for Jenny, so if you get a minute just send her a little extra love.

Now the special shout out part of this. We have a friend that lives in Seattle that goes by Big Matt. Big Matt is a writer for a radio show that is broadcast nation wide and on any given night has a following of about 8 million listeners. This is the Delilah Show. Today, Big Matt had Delilah record a special shout out to Ben basically just asking her listeners to say a quick prayer for our little man. The show is carried in Medford on KCMX 101.9 FM. Matt said that the shout out will be aired tonight between 10:40 and 10:50. For those of you not in the Medford area head to this address to see if there is a station in your area that carries the show: http://www.delilah.com/pages/stations.html. If you are following in the Chicago or Houston areas, your times are going to be different. Sorry. You can also finds stations that play audio online during the show if you are in an area that doesn't have a station that carries the show. Matt also mentioned that he would send me a link tomorrow that I can post here on the blog for those of you that aren't able to hear the show tonight.

Just in case there are more California Golden Bears out there that would like to be a part of Team Ben, I made a Team Ben shirt using the Bears colors. You can find it here: http://www.cafepress.com/TEAMBENCGB

I think that's it from me for the moment. If I hear anything else tonight I'll let you know. I think we're kind of in a holding pattern again until we get the results of the bone marrow scan. Thanks again to those of you who have made donations or bought t-shirts!

F*ck cancer, I ride with Clyde!

-Uncle Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment